Sunday, December 16, 2012

Countdown is on

Here goes. I am not a blogger. I start things and never finish them. I have no idea what I am doing. I didn't even mean to put that giant picture of my husband and I as our background (if it is not there- I figured out how to delete it). I cannot even spell.
Perry fears that this blog will be another 'to do' for me. That we won't do it well. I am past that. We leave in 2 hours to drive to D.C. to pick up Alyona. We met her this summer through our friends who hosted her and felt the Lord leading us to adopt her. We offered, she declined. Two weeks upon her return to her orphanage in Ukraine we got a message, "Yes, Alyona wants to be hosted at Christmas. And she is open to adoption." WHAT? What changed her mind? Did her caregivers nudge her? Did she realize her fate when she turns 16 and is forced to leave the orphanage? Who knows. We were skeptical. Then I started thinking, what would she have to say for me to believe her? Would she have to beg us to let her in our family for me to think she was 'worthy' after rejecting us? I don't think even then I would believe.
We continued like we had in August, 'let's take the next faithful step'. We spent almost every Friday night filling out paperwork for the homestudy. We have met once with the caseworker. We wrote Alyona, although still don't know if she got the letters.
Fast forward to today. We pick her up! I feel like I am being induced tonight at 9:07. I have been nesting, trying to tie any loose end before she comes. If it is anything like August, my thought/decision making abilities will be compromised. I am going to have a shadow looking to me for her next move. Don't get me wrong- I am VERY excited. Just trying to prepare as much as possible. I am realizing the most important thing I can do is - trust. TRUST that the One who has led us this far will continue to lead us- step by step.
I am hoping to not let this blog be a burden. Just a place where I can keep interested people posted. When I was in third grade I wrote a monthly paper for my street. I typed it on an electric typewriter. I charged 15cents a copy. It only lasted about 4 issues. I used to get stressed out that the neighbors were waiting for the next edition. I just HAD to write it. I will not let this blog become my next "Millbridge Gazette'.
Today I praise God for the Body of Christ. I am not alone. We have felt His presence all along. Today was confirmation that 'we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses'. While at church today, 12 different families blessed us. We were- handed dinner, a playdate was set up for Abigail so I could bake with Alyona, 3 different people prayed for us, secured a much looked for Christmas present for Alyona, given clothes, I was handed a crafted gift full of prayers, handed a check to help with expenses, given 2 bags of treats, Russian books and dvds, and a handmade hat just for her! And those were the tangible blessings. Others encouraged us and shared in our excitement.
Thank you, Lord. I feel You! I know You are here. Thank You for loving us so much to include us on this adventure!
Blog 1 written- check that off my list!


2 comments:

  1. This is Robyn Wilson- you taught our daughter Anne-Holly Spanish. She sent me your blog to read. Thank you for being willing to write & live your lives out there for us to join in on, to pray for you & to watch as the Father does some incredible things in your lives! I hope you all have a fantastic time visiting & watching God lead!
    Merry Christmas,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. go becca and perry! looking forward to hearing more!
    -martin

    ReplyDelete