Sunday, December 23, 2012

Science museum and the Jefferson

I am losing track of the days. Yesterday we went to the science museum. That was okay. There is a lot of reading necessary to truly get what is going on. Just like our little kids, she enjoyed pushing the buttons. I am not sure what she thought as we watched rat basketball. I had made a turkey breast for dinner on Friday. Alyona and Anna were both grossed out as I washed it and prepared it. They helped me season it with lemons and herbs and enjoyed the smell as it cooked. Every time I am chopping something, Alyona says, "me! me!". I think that really helps her enjoy the meals, since she is aware of what is in each dinner. So Saturday morning I quickly took out the turkey breast and had them make turkey salad. We ate that in the car after the museum on crackers. Then with time still to kill so we went to the Jefferson Hotel to look at the decorations.
 
Instead of embarrassing Alyona by putting in the picture of her covering her face, I will show you this one. Not sure if she knew why we were there or what we were doing. That afternoon, Nathan, Anna, Alyona, and I went to Wal-mart. We had fun. She even put Nathan in a head lock and rubbed his head. She also insisted that Nathan push her while she stood on the cart. They took turns. I forgot to mention how she likes getting the mail. If you have sent us a Christmas card, chances are she joyfully opened it. The other day, Chris' mom sent Alyona a Ukrainian Christmas card with $10 in it (she sent one for each grandchild). She was THRILLED to see her name on the envelope! And bonus, she could read the card! She took her money to Walmart and bought 2 boxes of brushes ($5 each) to take back and share with her friends at 'school' and really wanted an iced honey bun. I had given her some coins, so there you have it. Her first purchase. As I was 'translating' the cashier asked, "does she speak Spanish?" Man- I wish she did!  We went home, she chopped more turkey and I made a pot pie. She really liked it- again I think because she helped make it. Some times I get a quiet moment and hear the 4 kids giggling. Once they were playing PBS kids on the computer, once Alyona was dressing up in Abigail's jacket and emerging from the closet and once they cleaned the kitchen!
Yes, they used 7 dish rags and 1/2 roll of paper towels- but the stainless steel never looked so good!
Here is a picture from Great Wolf Lodge of the cousins. Somewhere along the way, she has learned the art of bunny ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment