Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Ask

So much to tell and just minutes before everyone wakes up. Our struggle last week was, Alyona was cold towards my husband. She avoided him and told the translator she did not like him. Well, we are praying for clarity- we got it. We cannot move forward. We prayed and asked God to change her heart and quickly or we were going to accept her coldness as a reason not to adopt. Within 24 hours she thawed! What? Okay, one step at a time. It was huge when she invited herself into the football game with Perry on Christmas. Several more days past and we started really having a sweet time together as a family. After a visit with some Russian speaking friends, Alyona mentioned she would attend trade school after the orphanage. My heart sank. She is just on vacation. She has not thought any more about our offer in August to adopt her that she declined. One step at a time. So then we were praying for wisdom. When to talk, who to help us, and what to say. Just like it has been the whole time she has been here, I waited on the Lord and He made it clear. Zoya (Ukranian who teaches English) was in Richmond 1 more day and it was wide open. We planned to meet at Panera. It was raining, there was no one at the Stony Point Panera- we got the secluded booth.


I am so thankful for my friend Tracy, who shared this intimate conversation with the 3 of us. We found out from Alyona she has been thinking about our offer. In fact, she spoke to her older sisters about it and they encouraged her to take this opportunity. (That is huge since I had just heard the night before from an adoptive mom that her teenage daughters were ridiculed by their jealous sisters when they were adopted). Although Alyona's mom has officially lost rights to her, they still talk by phone. Her mom said nothing. I can only imagine the pain her mom feels about the choices she made in her life to bring them to this point. What a broken world. No 14 year old should have to be in this position. I reassured her. We are scared too. We are trusting the Lord will take care of all of us. I don't  need to replace your mom, just help you on your life journey from here on out. We all cried. Perfectly orchestrated timing, words, and people. For the first time, I knew she had been thinking about this. She is not taking this lightly. She has 4 more days. We asked her to let us know before she leaves. The rest of the day was joyful! She was bouncing around (may be the open access to sugar) throwing her bedspread on our heads, calling us, "Baby Jesus". Tackling me. Hugging me (all the first time she has initiated these things). She fits with us. Tonight for the first time I had the thought, "This might actually be enjoyable". I have been bracing myself for hard. I want to follow God's will and know (especially after studying about Joseph) that it is not always comfortable. But even when it is not, this moment by moment reliance on the Lord is LIVING! WOW! That the God of the universe is intimately involved in my life and CARES about what happens, is mind blowing. What a ride! So, what will happen? Only God knows. In the meantime, one faithful step, soaking up everything He has for me.
Here is a picture of my sweet neighbors helping her make a stepping stone for our garden. She told Zoya that has been one of her favorite things on this trip. I reminded her she couldn't take that home in her suitcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment