Monday, December 17, 2012

Day 1


Last night was SO exciting. First of all I cannot remember a time when I took a 2 hour road trip with another couple. It was a blast chatting getting super excited. Then we met up with our other 4 friends there! We paced and waited, the plane was late. When they finally walked through the gate I screamed, "They are here!" I hugged her, I cried, Perry tried to take pictures, the camera malfunctioned.
It was a sweet moment. She looked great- especially after 3 days of travel. Tight black jeans, new black boots, and nice coat. It appears like her caregivers sent her out with the best items possible.
I wish there had an outsider there snapping pictures, so we could have seen everyone else as they greeted their girls. It was such a blur.

We had decided on the way to the airport the girls needed code names. That way we could refer to them without them wondering why we keep talking about them. A word they won't normally hear in our house- as to not confuse the language aquisition. "Scrunchie" it is!

We have been trained for this experience. Our list: check for lice, they will smell, they are superstious- so don't kiss them on the head (kiss of death), bring them a stuffed animal.
First- Lice- okay.....her hair is pulled back tightly...good sign....hum...I will look in the hood of her coat I am holding....Looks good to me! CHECK
Smell- after buying my special scented lip gloss to distract my nose and packing a strong smelling candle....she doesn't smell....CHECK.
Stuffed animal- I found a giant monkey at Sam's that was plush and big enough to be a pillow. As instructed we have been sleeping with it for a week transfering our scent (don't ask...the training).
I envisioned her hugging it and using it as a pillow. She fell asleep clutching it on the ride home exactly as planned!...CHECK
She took a shower, put on her new Christmas pjs, towel dried her hair (didn't even comb it) and was beaming as tucked her into her clean sheets. I snuggled her down in, Anna stirred and smiled at us, we prayed for Alyona, and I kissed her on the head.
This morning I asked Anna if she remembered seeing us last night. She said, "Yes. Mom, did you kiss her on the HEAD?!" YIKES! I did....the kiss of death.....fail.
Kids on the bus at 8:50, me out the door at 9:00, Perry and Abigail at home, Alyona still sleeping....stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment