Friday, December 21, 2012

Too tired to think of a cute title

Okay, so much has happened. Thursday Alyona and Abigail came with me to school while I gave my students their exams. When I walked through the door I was bombarded with gifts, questions, and a flury of activity. It actually made me feel so special and I was hoping she would see I am more that just a 'consulation prize'... I am actually likeable. My fellow Spanish teacher, conversed with her in Russian. Another host mom who witnessed Wednesday night's painful interactions at church answered my S.O.S call and came to play with them on the play ground. My original plan to keep them busy was for Alyona's original host mom to spend time with them, but I knew it was just too painful for Alyona, since she cares so deeply for them. (hope that made sense...again...I am tired).

After my exam, we headed to Great Wolf Lodge. She had never seen anything like it. My parents and sister's family were there too. God bless my 8 yr old nephew. He quickly picked up on how to communicate with Alyona and was willing to do all of the adventurous rides with her. She really took to my sister, and Sarah got to experience the 'I am fond of you and it is culturally acceptable' hand holding with her.
  I was in the kiddie area when I saw Anna come running to me crying. Oh no! This is the moment I have learned about in my training where my biological kid gets their feelings hurt. She explained that Alyona had asked her to go on the Tornado and Anna (all day) had declined. She got Anna to go 1/2 way up the stairs, Anna was too scared, walked down, and then had trouble locating me. Anna was struggling with letting Alyona down, but really being too scared to proceed. I assured Anna that she wasn't ever to be pressured into doing something she was scared of. Then I am thinking.....you can't ride this ride alone. It is a 2-4 person ride. She can't read the signs or communicate. In Alyona's words, "oh no!". So Anna and I went to the exit of the ride. Well wouldn't you know she comes down in a raft with 3 high school boys!!!! "Oh no!" She was laughing and so were we...she figured it out.  (imagine a picture of us swimming here....my dad took pics on his camera).

We had a great time and came home this afternoon. Well, a couple of days ago, our sweet babysitter, Molly 14yr, had sent me an email inviting Alyona to come over to a small party from 3-5 today with some other girls her age. If I have learned anything it is, make all plans tentative and let the Holy Spirit lead me. I had told her I would see. Well Perry had to go into work, so I didn't think we could go. I get a reminder email. Then my neighbor, Mimi, came over to visit. She invited Abigail back to her house to see her tree. On her way out she says, "Call me if you need me". Okay Lord, do you want me to take her? How many things need to fall into place here. Mimi agrees to watch all 3 kids. I google translate "We are going to my friend's house. She is your age. We will play Spoons like you did when you were here in Aug." "NO". "Get your coat on" "NO". "If it is not fun we will leave". "NO". I bring her the coat. Hey if she is ever going to be a Perry she needs to listen to me and trust me. She gets in the car, slumped over with her arms crossed. Silence all the way there. I mean, it is always silent, but this was grumpy silence. I prayed and prayed in my head. "I am trusting You, Lord". I honestly was preparing myself that she may just refuse to exit the car. We get there and I greet them mom with a happy, "Hi, we are here against our will" warning. Those SWEET girls made her feel right at home. They let me play spoons and hot potato with them. Molly planned games that were non speaking games, just for Alyona. And Alyona LOVED IT! Laughed, played, ate cookies, and Molly gave her some to take home and a special chapstick (which she loved and made me smell in the car). She is lucky she doesn't understand....I told you so! Thank You Lord. I took a chance and she felt loved.
 At dinner, Perry asked, "what are we going to do tonight?" with dread. I got out my exams and we practiced the alphabet (upper and lower case) while I graded them. If I got to a paper of someone she knew (former host family kids or their friends) I would describe them and she would draw a heart with wings on their papers. Believe it or not, we had a blast. Anna right there with us. Really? Grading exams are fun? As I tallied up the scores, I heard a few , "oh no!"s from her :)

1 comment:

  1. You are Sooo much more than a consolation prize!! Thanks for keeping up the blog. We're praying for all of you as well as the other host families.

    ReplyDelete